What Should You Know About Tire Care?
The Mastria Buick GMC tire center fields questions from drivers every day, and we always try to impart a sense of how important your tires really are! After all, your vehicle’s tires are its first and only point of contact with the road, and the quality of your tires is a major determinant of your safety on Taunton and Middleboro streets.
So, what should you know about keeping your tires in fighting shape? These frequently asked questions can help you get started:
- What tire services are important? Every tire care routine should include monthly pressure checks, tire rotation at 7,500-mile intervals, and regular wheel alignment. You should also inspect your treads and look out for odd, uneven wear. You can schedule these services right here in Raynham.
- What kind of tires are best for your vehicle? Ultimately, it depends! Although some drivers will try to use all-season tires year round, the truth is that dedicated winter tires offer much better performance when the cold weather hits. Dedicated off-road tires are great for dirt and mud, but they tend to be louder on the road. And while performance tires can help you at high speeds or in wet weather, all-season tires will maximize your comfort. The correct tire size for your vehicle is listed on the driver’s side door jamb.
- When should you replace tires? Most modern tires include treadwear indicators—smooth strips of rubber embedded into the base of the tread. If these indicators are flush with the outside of the tire, you have less than 2/32 of an inch of tread remaining, and it’s time to replace your tires.
If you need new tires for your vehicle, our tire finder service can make the process quick and easy.
What Tires Are Good for Winter?
When snow and ice arrive in Raynham and Fall River, will you be prepared for the worst that the season can offer? Summer tires and all-season tires will harden in cold weather—and the result is a serious, potentially dangerous loss of traction.
Winter tires, by contrast, have been engineered at a molecular level in order to retain their elasticity in cold weather. Winter tires also have deeper treads and unique tread patterns, which help to maximize your traction in deep snow or on sheets of ice.
When shopping for winter tires, you should also keep the following points in mind:
- Narrow tires are better at cutting through snow than wide tires, which can tend to remain on the slippery surface.
- Winter tires are split into two main categories: studless and performance. Studless tires will offer better traction when the weather is working against you, but if you only tend to drive when the roads are cold, but clear, performance tires could be a better choice.
- For every 10-degree (fahrenheit) drop in temperature, the pressure in your tires will decrease by 1 PSI. This is why it’s so important to check your tire pressure often. It’s also why some experts recommend a higher PSI for winter tires.
Save on Tire Care with Mastria Buick GMC
Whether you’re searching for winter tires or looking for a team that can handle all of your tire maintenance needs, you can trust that Mastria Buick GMC is ready to help! Check out our service and parts discounts to save on your next visit to our tire center